Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Obama's Speech

It gives me great pleasure to comment again about national government shorty after Obama's "heartwarming" speech at my university. I managed to catch the end (on tv of course..I wouldn't actually pay to see him) and was not necessarily shocked at what I heard.
His main focus for the speech of course was to give money to the college students and help lower tuition costs. I'm obviously all for that, granted my tuition for the University of Texas rose over the past semester, but then he stated he was going to give a lot of taxpayers dollars to Hispanic scholarship funds... this I was confused about. Not that they don't deserve it but Obama is purposely going out of his way it seems to avoid the immigration problem and yet giving money to Hispanics at the same time. The news mentioned that Rick Perry tried to have a word with Obama about lending more money to Texas in order to protect our borders as he was getting off the plane and Obama simply brushed it off and acted as if he was some sort of interviewer.
With all this money he's lending out to help low income houses and racial classes, (even though he's already vastly increased debt) it seems that he shouldn't take the high increase of illegal aliens in this country lightly and give money to stop it.
Whites in Texas are quickly becoming the minority and in most places already are. This isn't a racist comment or anything but there's a good chance that a decent amount aren't exactly legal.
I know I mentioned in my last blog that I would discuss social security and how I think it is a joke that I'm paying a large sum of my paycheck every other week when the the reality is when I am old enough to use it will be depleted and there won't be anything left. Not that I don't have a HUGE problem paying my own money to take care of "Betty Sue's grandma", it just seemed more appropriate to discuss immigration after Obama's recent pep-talk.
't

1 comment:

Julia Schwartz said...

I laughed when I read this blog. I didn't even watch Obama on tv much less did I pay to see him in person. I also attend The University of Texas and agree in that he may be trying to give money to college students to help lower tuition costs but it is estimated that tuition will continue to increase each year we attend school so how can he say he will lower tuition costs when we already know they will continue to rise?
The statement that he is giving taxpayer dollars to Hispanics for scholarship funds while we are having an immigration "crisis" is very contradictory. Obama seems to do this a lot. But he is a Democrat and aiding to minorities is his forte.
It does not surprise me that Obama treated Perry the way he did. He puts on a 'show' for the public- nice when the news will be national but could care less to brush aside a governor of one state. I'm surprised Obama even came to Texas at all. His efforts here are wasted in my opinion. Texas is historically known for their republicanism and many people living here do not care for this president at all.
The immigration problem is to the point of great seriousness. Arizona has proven that we are knocking on the door or racism and a sense of desegregation because of this issue. The thousands of miles between the United States and Mexico can not be monitored inch by inch but something needs to be done and Obama needs to show the United States, especially the southern states that he is doing something about it before it spirals out of control.
Clearly the author of this blog and I share very similar political backgrounds and agree on a lot. The author has valid points and I agree with him on almost everything he says.